6 for ’16
Our 6 for ‘16 plan focuses on the issues that are most important to all Tennesseans.
Government accountability, quality and affordable healthcare and making work pay are all issues that the people of Tennessee need to see progress on this year. Additionally Democrats will focus on providing public money for public schools, access to the ballot box, and real criminal justice reform. Tennessee Democrats know that a focused effort on these six issues is an effort that will improve the lives of all Tennesseans.
- ETHICS AND OVERSIGHT: In 2011, Republicans eliminated 11 oversight committees including the Select Oversight Committee on Corrections. Democrats are ready to bring back ALL 11 oversight committees because oversight is the foundation of an effective state government. If Governor Haslam and Republican legislators want to operate in secrecy and without accountability, then they need to find another occupation.
- QUALITY AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE: Tennessee Democrats believe that all Tennesseans should be able to take themselves or their kids to the doctor when they’re sick.
- MAKING WORK PAY: Making Work Pay for every Tennessean means raising the minimum wage and passing equal pay for equal work. Incomes of ordinary Tennesseans have flatlined while the incomes of the richest 1% continue to rise. Lifting the incomes of average Tennesseans is the best way to grow our economy and create jobs. It also means finally ensuring that women get equal pay for equal work.
- PUBLIC MONEY FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS: Public Money for Public Schools means NO TO VOUCHERS in Tennessee and increased funding for public schools.
- EQUAL ACCESS TO THE BALLOT BOX: Equal Access to the Ballot Box is the bedrock of our democracy. Tennessee Democrats are going to fight to make sure that every eligible voter has the access and ability to vote.
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM: “We have too many Tennesseans wasting away in jail for non-violent, minor crimes that involve either drugs or simply an inability to pay fines.” – Senate Minority Leader Lee Harris