- Our Party
- 2014 Races
- Take Action
The state election office made a historic mess of Tennessee’s Presidential Primary — with mistakes that robbed a former U.S. Congressman and his wife of their right to vote and denied voters access to the polls.
Secretary of State Tre Hargett and State Election Coordinator Mark Goins are in charge of the government office that oversaw the March 6 elections. Problems were far reaching and have garnered national media attention:
- The election office only distributed government-issued photo IDs to 13 percent of registered voters over age 60 who need it. There are still more than 100,000 registered voters over the age of 60 in Tennessee who still lack the government-issued photo ID now required to vote. The government bureaucrats won’t acknowledge how many eligible voters under the age of 60 don’t have the ID.
- A Nashville judge was nearly denied a right to vote because a poll worker had not been properly trained on the haphazard government-issued photo ID law. It led to a shameful moment in the General Assembly, when a sitting senator wrongly accused the judge of voting “fraudulently and illegally.”
- Election officials violated state law by cutting the early vote period short in Davidson County.
- Voters who forgot their government-issued photo ID and cast a provisional ballot in Davidson County received a form instructing them to call a wrong phone number for help with their ID.
- Former U.S. Congressman Lincoln Davis and his wife were wrongly denied the right to vote
Will anyone be held accountable in the state election office?
Topics2012 Barack Obama bill haslam Bob Corker Bob tuke budget chip forrester craig fitzhugh Diane Black DNC Dolores Gresham Economy Education eric stewart gloria johnson GOP Watch Gray Sasser Health Care Jim Cooper jobs John McCain Lamar Alexander Latest News Marsha Blackburn medicare middle class Mike Padgett mike turner Mitt Romney P2008 Phil Bredesen Ron Ramsey Roy Herron Scandal scott desjarlais state house state Senate statewide stephen fincher Steve Cohen taxes tn04 TNDP TNGOP voter id