- Our Party
- 2014 Races
- Take Action
Running for State Representative
There are 99 State House Districts in Tennessee. State Representatives represent about 64,000 citizens and serve two-year terms. Click here to find your district.
- Election Day – November 4, 2014
If you want to run for the office of State Representative, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a citizen of Tennessee for 3 years;
- Be a resident in the county, where your district resides, for one year immediately preceding the election; and
- Be a qualified voter of the legislative district.
- Qualifying Petition. To appear on the ballot, candidates must obtain a qualifying petition from a county election commission office or the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Click here to find your county election commission office.
- Voters’ Signatures. The qualifying petition must be signed by at least 25 voters who are registered in the candidate’s legislative district, and the candidate. The signature of the candidate does not count towards the required 25 signatures.
- Filing deadline. Democratic candidates must file their qualifying petitions no later than 12 p.m. NOON on April 5.
- Where to File. Candidates must file their original qualifying petition in the office of the county election commission in the county of their residence and a certified duplicate in the county election commission office in each county wholly or partially within the candidate’s legislative district. Each of these documents must be received by the respective election commissions by the above deadline. There are no filing fees.
For more information, visit the Tennessee Secretary of State’s Election website.
Topics2012 Barack Obama bill haslam Bob Corker Bob tuke budget chip forrester craig fitzhugh Diane Black DNC Dolores Gresham Economy Education eric stewart gloria johnson GOP Watch Gray Sasser Health Care Jim Cooper jobs John McCain Lamar Alexander Latest News Marsha Blackburn medicaid medicare middle class Mike Padgett mike turner Mitt Romney P2008 Phil Bredesen Ron Ramsey Roy Herron scott desjarlais state house state Senate statewide stephen fincher Steve Cohen taxes tn04 TNDP TNGOP voter id