- Our Party
- 2014 Races
- Take Action
Running for U.S. Senate
Tennessee has two U.S. Senators who represent the entire state. U.S. Senators serve six-year terms.
- Election Day – November 4, 2014
If you want to run for the office of U.S. Senate, you must:
- Be at least 30 years of age;
- Be a citizen of the United States for 9 years; and
- Be a resident of Tennessee.
- Qualifying Petition. To appear on the ballot, candidates must obtain a qualifying petition from a county election commission office or the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Click here to find your county election commission office.
- Voters’ Signatures. The qualifying petition must be signed by at least 25 voters who are registered in the candidate’s legislative district, and the candidate. The signature of the candidate does not count towards the required 25 signatures.
- Filing deadline. Democratic candidates must file their qualifying petitions no later than 12 p.m. NOON on April 5.
- Where to File. Candidates must file their original qualifying petition in the office of the State Election Commission and a certified duplicate in the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Both of these must be received by the qualifying deadline listed above and may be mailed to:
Division of Elections
312 Rosa L. Parks Avenue, William R. Snodgrass Tower, 9th Floor
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Additional Filing. Candidates must also file a certified duplicate by the above qualifying deadline with the Tennessee Democratic Party Chair. Therefore, each primary candidate must file one original and two certified duplicates in the respective offices. There are no filing fees.
State Democratic Party
1900 Church Street, Suite 203
Nashville, TN 37203
For more information, visit the Tennessee Secretary of State’s Election website.
Topics2012 Barack Obama bill haslam Bob Corker Bob tuke budget chip forrester craig fitzhugh Diane Black DNC Dolores Gresham Economy Education eric stewart gloria johnson GOP Watch Gray Sasser Health Care Jim Cooper jobs John McCain Lamar Alexander Latest News Marsha Blackburn medicaid medicare middle class Mike Padgett mike turner Mitt Romney P2008 Phil Bredesen Ron Ramsey Roy Herron scott desjarlais state house state Senate statewide stephen fincher Steve Cohen taxes tn04 TNDP TNGOP voter id