We are a nation and state in crisis and when the Tennessee General Assembly went back in session after a COVID-19 recess, Tennessee Democrats did what we do best – we listened to the problems – economic, health, and justice-related – and fought for these laws that would fix them:
- Healthcare expansion during the global pandemic
- Economic relief for small businesses during the economic recession
- Healthcare coverage for new mothers and adults with disabilities
- The removal of the bust of a racist confederate leader & KKK founder from a place of honor in the State Capitol
- Funding for public schools and increase in pay for teachers
- Racial justice and equity
- Use of force reform
- Expansion of access to absentee voting
Republicans ignored all the suffering to prove, once again, that they cannot be trusted to do their job or what’s best for Tennesseans anymore. While Democrats brought legislation to help, Republicans played election year party politics and killed any and every bill we brought to the table. Not only that, but they actively worked to cause harm. Here’s just a sample of what the Republican supermajority pushed:
- Stripping county health departments of their mandated power during a pandemic
- Blocking healthcare coverage to 300,000 hard working Tennesseans
- Blocking rights for working Tennesseans through a harmful “right to work for less” bill
- Memorialized a man who was a slave owner, confederate leader, and the founder of the KKK
- Slandering and defaming a murdered 17-year-old girl
- Creating additional tax breaks for the wealthiest Tennesseans
- Slashing pandemic related financial support to cities
- Defunding public schools to fund Governor Lee’s failed voucher bill
Perhaps their most egregious act came well-past midnight on the last night of seesion. With the doors to the Tennessee Capitol locked and rules in the Senate suspended, Republican leaders and legislators passed a radical and unconstitutional ban on abortion that strips 51% of Tennesseans of their civil liberties and removes any and all protections for victims of rape and incest. This – introducing and ramming through a bill they promised they would not take up and told no one they’d be discussing – was a purely political and punitive act and illustrates perfectly the reason why no politician should usurp the authority of women when it comes to decisions about their reproductive health.
We demand better of our legislators. If Republicans don’t want to do their job and work with Democrats to do what’s best for the people they serve, they must be replaced in November.
We’ve got a phenomenal list of Democratic candidates on the ballot this August and November. Check out the list and support who you can, how you can.
Fighting with you,
Chair, Tennessee Democratic Party
LOVE IS LOVE
Five years ago today, the highest court in the land, The United States Supreme Court affirmed every single American has the right to love and marry who they want. We celebrate this victory for the LGTBQ+ community and promise to continue to fight for their rights. The Tennessee Democratic Party is committed to electing and uplifting public servants who honor basic human rights for all, including the LGTBQ+ community.
ON THIS WEEK’S EPISODE OF
TRUMP’S FAILED LEADERSHIP
JOIN US TO PROTECT THE VOTE!
A Zoom Event in support of the TNDP
Voter Protection Program
The vote is more important in 2020 than ever before. As our nation is in crisis, Republicans are deploying tactics to keep people from voting. We must protect the vote. Join us Tuesday, June 30th 5:30CT for a roundtable discussion with TNDP Chair Mary Mancini, Tricia Herzfeld, Reyna Walters-Morgan, and Kendra Lee. All tickets and sponsorships will go directly toward TNDP’s 2020 Voter Protection Program.
Tickets are $25.00 and sponsorship opportunities are available.
Sponsorships start at $100 & up. Tickets are $25.00. Register now!
TWEETS OF THE WEEK