Communications Director (Posted October 1, 2019)
The Tennessee Democratic Party (TNDP) is seeking a bold, innovative, and inspiring communications director. The communications director will report to the chair and the executive director and develop and implement the communication strategy using traditional media, digital media, and values-based messaging. This position is full-time and based in Nashville, TN.
The communications director for the TNDP conducts the day-to-day communications including digital, social and traditional media, website maintenance, e-newsletters, rapid response efforts, and digital organizing, programs, & initiatives. They will manage relationships with reporters and handle all press inquiries. The communications director is also responsible for managing and building the party brand, advancing our values, and helping to elect Democrats at every level of government. This position is highly collaborative and crucial to TNDP achieving its mission.
- Be bold, innovative, modern, inspiring & communicative.
- Manage, enhance, and disseminate the values-based TNDP brand
- Develop/implement a multi-pronged long-term communications strategy and plan
- Develop/maintain relationships with national, state, and local reporters/media influencers
- Develop/maintain relationships with candidates, campaigns, local leaders, & key stakeholders
- Supervise social media team and lead strategy to increase the reach and impact of our social media presence.
- Oversee, or create as needed, electronic communications content, including website, email newsletters and social media
- Serve as a surrogate/spokesperson for the TNDP as needed
- Provide message guidance and training for county parties, candidates, campaigns, and colleagues based on the latest research available
- Write press releases, statements, media advisories, op-eds, and other editorial content
- Manage robust intern and volunteer program and encourage personal and communications skills development within the program.
- Work with Finance Team to implement and maximize online contributions using the most cutting-edge and productive tools available.
- Support other departments as necessary and as assigned by the Chair and Executive Director.
- 3-5 years experience working in journalism or a communications capacity for Democratic organization, advocacy organization, union and/or campaign(s)
- Must understand values-based communication
- Excellent written and verbal communication, grammatical and copy-editing skills
- Extensive knowledge of Tennessee’s political landscape
- Experience in graphic design and video editing
- Knowledge of NGP, VAN, Adobe Creative Suite, and other related tools
- Knowledge of content management systems, email marketing and social media platforms
- Exceptional project and time management skills. Can efficiently strategize, plan, organize, measure, and adjust resources as needed during execution of plan/project
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure and manage multiple deadlines
- Keen eye for identifying earned media opportunities
- Exceptional interpersonal, relationship-building and communication skills
- Knowledge of social media best practices
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, 3 references, and 2 writing samples to executive director Kris Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No person shall be discriminated against in seeking employment with the Tennessee Democratic Party because of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, economic status or disability.
(Posted: October 1, 2019)
There are no other job openings at this time.